Skip to main content



Manton Building Construction Series

Manton Building Construction Series

Save page 1 of 2
Open Finding Aid
small (250x250 max)
medium (500x500 max)
Large
Extra Large
large ( > 500x500)
Full Resolution

Manton Building Construction Series CAI.ARC.2017.03

Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute. Library
225 South Street
Williamstown, MA, 01267
413-458-0531
library@clarkart.edu

3/17/2017



Profile Description

Creation: This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2018-03-09T15:35-0500
Language: English

Repository: Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute. Library
Title: Manton Building Construction Series
Dates: 1955-1973
Quantity: 57.42158 Linear feetboxes and drawers
Physical Description NoteMaterials in moderate to poor condition. There is some yellowing of folded documents, creases and folding, and tears in the paper. More severe damage is evident on several documents. This damage includes mold, crystalization, water damage, large rips/tears, and rust.
Dimensions NoteSepia diazotypes range in size from 8 x 11" to 36 x 48."
Identification: CAI.ARC.2017.03
Language:

Arrangement note

Arranged by building material type, trade, and specific job.

Scope and Contents Note

This series covers the construction of the Manton building, part of the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, from the years 1955-1973.

The principal architects involved in the project were Pietro Belluschi and Norman Fletcher, working at The Architect's Collaborative, which was based in Cambridge, MA. TAC was founded in 1945 by Walter Gropius, who followed the Bauhaus style, and disbanded in 1995 due mainly to financial problems.

The series includes sepia diazotype drawings, work transmittals, advertising materials, and other papers shared between TAC and their contractors and subcontractors during the construction of the building.

There are further drawings that still need to be incorporated into this series. Due to time and resource constraints not all drawings were inventoried; they have been left where they are, which is within several drawers of a standing filing cabinet in the North Court Storage room located at the Lower Level of the Manton Building. These items can be incorporated into the series at any time (it would be a good small project for an archives intern to perform).


History of the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute

In 1950 Sterling and Francine Clark chartered the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute as a home for their extensive art collection. Opened to the public in 1955, the Institute has built upon this extraordinary group of works to become one of the most beloved and respected art museums in the world, known for its intimate galleries and stunning natural environment. One of the few institutions in the United States that combines a public art museum with a complement of research and academic programs, including a major art history library, the Clark is now a leading international center for research and discussion on the nature of art and art history. Building upon the founders' legacy, the Institute has recently unveiled its master plan for the twenty-first century, which fosters the Clark's commitment to providing space for its expanding research and museum programs while maintaining the unique character of its beautiful rural setting.


A. J. Eckert Co..
Albany Steel Inc.
Architectural drawing--20th century
Architecture
Babcock-Davis Associates Inc.
Bay State Elevator Company.
Belluschi, Pietro, 1899-1994
Bethlehem Steel Company
Blueprints
Bluestone
Bolt, Beranek, and Newman, Inc.
Boston Metal Door Co.
Brandt Airflex
Brutalist
Buffalo Force Co.
Cambridge (Mass.)
Diazotype
Federal Sheet Roofing Co.
Francis Associates
Fred Stone Reprographics.
GAL Manufacturing Co.
George A. Fuller Company
Granite (rock) -- Granite by color and composition -- Red Granite
H. O. Penn Machinery
LeMessurier Consultants.
Levi-Case Company, Inc.
Manton Building
Mari and Sons Flooring
Moliterno Stone Sales, Inc.
Ostrow Co.
Parkline Corp.
Patterson-Kelley Co., Inc.
Perry, Daniel, d. 2002
Prescon Co.
Scott and Duncan Co., Inc..
Steel
Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute
The Architects' Collaborative (TAC).
Transmittals
Tuttle and Bailey (a division of Allied Thermal)
United Glass and Aluminum
W. C. Vaughan Co.
Williamstown (Mass)

Related Material

The following collections are related to this one:

•CAI.ARC.2007.52 --- Blueprints from the Architects Collaborative •CAI.ARC.2008.26 --- The Architects Collaborative Records of the Manton Research Center •CAI.ARC.2009.09 --- Specifications Manuals for the Service, Museum, and Manton Buildings •CAI.ARC.2009.12 --- Architectural Drawings for the Museum Building •CAI.ARC.2012.07 --- A Preliminary Guide to Architectural Display Materials from the Director's Office •CAI.ARC.2012.09 --- Architectural Design Drawings by Larry Richards for The Architects Collaborative (TAC) and Pietro Belluschi, 1967-69, for the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, Williamstown, Massachusetts. •CAI.ARC.2017.01 --- Preliminary Guide to Documents and Drawings from the Campus Expansion Project •CAI.ARC.2017.02 --- Museum Building Construction Series


Separated Material

Materials separated by condition, size, and preservation priority.


you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK